The RGCA has a very social membership, with many members having longstanding personal friendships. With the cancelation of in-person events due to COVID-19, we were challenged to find a low-cost solution that allowed members to interact in a social but professional environment. We also needed to keep lines of communication open between supplier members and our retail members to which they sell their services. These companies looked to the RGCA to help them make these connections and keep business moving. At the same time, we needed to manage expectations from members that they would have opportunities to connect virtually without the calls turning into sales pitches.
- Provide social connection for the industry.
- Create opportunities for collaborative learning.
- Reinforce Supplier Member value.
STEP 1: Establish call expectations.
STEP 2: Update website and promote.
STEP 3: Empower volunteers to lead discussions on topics THEY choose.
STEP 4: Create a following of regular attendees.
- 30-40 companies on each call.
- Increased engagement and feedback on RGCA membership benefits.
- Helped drive member recruitment.
- Created new sponsorship and revenue opportunities
INSIGHTS / LEARNINGS
- Let the members drive the discussion.
- Follow-up on feedback regarding member benefits and how we can move the industry forward. Let members know they were heard.
- It’s OK to leave it open. Some of the best discussions have been “open mics” without a planned topic.